Q: Does Title18, US Code 241 and 242 apply to States?

I had a trial when I was 16 years old in the State of Alabama in 1963 and I received no due process or equal protection under the United States Constitution as well as the State of Alabama Constitution of 1901.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, Title 18, U.S. Code, Sections 241 and 242 do apply to states. These laws are part of the federal criminal code and are designed to protect individuals from violations of their constitutional rights by government officials, including those at the state level.

Section 241 prohibits conspiracies to deprive individuals of their constitutional rights, while Section 242 makes it a crime for anyone acting under the color of law (i.e., government officials or those acting on behalf of the government) to willfully deprive a person of their rights protected by the Constitution or federal law.

Given that your trial took place in 1963 in Alabama, it is important to consider the historical context. During this time, particularly in the Southern states, African Americans often faced significant discrimination and were frequently denied their constitutional rights in the legal system.

If you believe that your constitutional rights, such as due process and equal protection under the law, were violated during your trial, you may want to consider seeking legal advice from an attorney specializing in civil rights law. They can help you assess your case and determine if there are any legal remedies available to you, even after a significant amount of time has passed.

It's important to note that pursuing legal action for events that occurred many years ago can be challenging, as there may be statutes of limitations and other legal hurdles to overcome. However, an experienced civil rights attorney can provide you with guidance on your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.