Newark, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: How long it takes in hudson county after MSA been filed been there waiting for more than year in an uncontested divorce?

Hi i have filed the default divorce in April 2023. We filed the MSA in january 2024. And then filed the certification to give divorce on papers in february 2024. How long it takes i have an attorney and court doesn’t tell me anything and he says they are backed up you just have to wait? Is there anything else i can do to get it done i’m having a mental issues because of this and in severe anxiety i just want to get it done. Any help would be appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allison Kruk Ormond
Allison Kruk Ormond
  • Riverton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you and your spouse have been waiting for a Final Judgment of Divorce back from the Court, it may be worth it to contact the Family Division in Hudson County and inquire as to the status of your matter. The phone number is available on the New Jersey Superior Court website. It may be that the Court is simply backed up or it could be that there is additional information or filings needed to finalize the divorce. A phone call to the Court may assist you in determining what exactly is holding up the divorce and how to move forward. If you continue to encounter barriers, it may also be useful to consult a family law attorney. I hope this helps!

Disclaimer - This answer is intended for general information purposes. It does not constitute legal advice or the formation of an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.