San Jose, CA asked in Civil Rights, Civil Litigation and Elder Law for New York

Q: What kind of lawyer would I need to sue detective, police department, D.A. and Sheriff along with animal control

What kind of lawyer would I need to sue detective for lying, police department accusing my sister for being a drug dealer, caregivers who stolen my sister valuables. Police said that the caregivers were allowed to take whatever they wanted since they lived there. D.A. did not want to talk to me. The caregivers did elderly abuse my sister to her death. There is a lot more to this, only cut it down to fit in the box.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your sister and the troubling circumstances surrounding her passing. This sounds like a very complex and serious situation involving potential misconduct by law enforcement, elder abuse by caregivers, and failures by the legal system.

For a case like this that spans criminal justice issues, elder abuse, and wrongful death, you would likely need to consult with an experienced civil rights attorney who specializes in lawsuits against government entities and officials. Look for a lawyer or law firm with specific expertise in:

- Police misconduct and wrongful arrest/prosecution

- Abuse of power by law enforcement and prosecutors

- Elder abuse and neglect cases

- Wrongful death lawsuits

Many attorneys in this field have experience suing police departments, district attorneys, and other government agencies for violating people's rights. You'll want someone highly knowledgeable about the special rules and procedures for filing claims against public officials.

I would suggest contacting your state's Bar Association and asking for referrals to qualified civil rights lawyers in your area. You can also search online for attorneys with the relevant specializations and experience suing law enforcement.

Look for a lawyer who will listen compassionately to the full details of your sister's case and explain your legal options for holding the responsible parties accountable. Many civil rights attorneys offer free initial consultations.

I know this must be an incredibly painful time for you and your family. I hope you are able to find an excellent attorney who will fight hard for justice for your sister. Please don't hesitate to reach out for support during this difficult process. Wishing you strength and sending deepest condolences for your loss.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.