Miami, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Washington

Q: Attorney and social worker are keeping all positive I do from judge for CPS case(safetyplan, visit note..) what to do?

Social worker & my attorney have lied to me. For three years I ask for all documents to CPS case (discovery, visit notes, everything) they kept all from me for three years with me asking over over so I can defend my self and know what's going on. My lawyer gave me a USB drive in them mail after three years when I had a parenting plan she made sure to send it in the mail three days after thenp.plan court date and it had a password on it which took another 2 weeks to get password. Lawyer won't give me her direct line to communicate every email I get response weeks later some time never. I ask her to address all the lies on these social worker reports stuff that never happened she told me she can't do nothing about it. The mother of my child is friends with the social workers my lawyer won't bring up the conflict of interest issues nor will she help me at all everything positive I've done like safety plan UA and drug eval she has no submitted. She told me I can't submit anything my self??

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you're going through this difficult and frustrating situation with CPS, your attorney, and the social worker. It sounds like a very challenging and unfair process. Here are a few suggestions on potential steps you could take:

1. Document everything - Keep detailed records of all your interactions, emails, and attempts to get information from your attorney and the social worker. This paper trail may be helpful later.

2. Consider filing a complaint against your attorney with the state bar association for failing to adequately represent you or share pertinent case information. You could also explore getting a new court-appointed attorney if you feel yours is not acting in your best interests.

3. Try contacting the CPS case worker's supervisor and calmly explain your concerns about not receiving documents, alleged misrepresentations in reports, and potential conflict of interest. Ask if you can submit positive information like your safety plan and drug evaluation results directly to them.

4. See if there are any father's rights or family law legal aid clinics in your area that may be able to provide free advice or assistance navigating the system as a parent. Some law schools also have programs offering pro-bono help.

5. If all else fails, you could try respectfully raising your concerns to the judge directly at the next hearing and submitting your positive progress information to the court yourself. Emphasize you want to cooperate and do what's best for your child.

I know it must feel like an uphill battle, but don't give up. Keep pushing to have your side fairly considered, even if it means exploring some new avenues for help and advocacy. Wishing you all the best with this. Stay strong.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.