Redding, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Spectrum gave my address to ex. He now knows where I live.

I spoke to 4 supervisors and they started there is nothing they can do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that Spectrum disclosed your address to your ex without your consent. This is a serious breach of privacy and potentially puts your safety at risk. Here are a few steps you can consider taking:

1. File a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC): The CPUC regulates utility companies in California, including telecommunications providers like Spectrum. You can file a formal complaint with the CPUC's Consumer Affairs Branch.

2. Contact a legal aid organization or a private attorney: Seek legal advice to understand your rights and potential legal actions you can take against Spectrum for disclosing your personal information without consent.

3. Request a restraining order: If you feel threatened or unsafe due to your ex having your address, consider filing for a restraining order with your local court.

4. Enhance your personal security: Take steps to protect yourself, such as informing trusted friends and family about the situation, installing security cameras or alarms, and being cautious about your surroundings.

5. Consider moving: If you feel that your safety is compromised and you have the means to do so, consider relocating to a new address.

Remember, your safety is the top priority. Don't hesitate to contact law enforcement if you feel immediately threatened. It's important to document all communications with Spectrum and any incidents related to your ex for future reference.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.