Baltimore, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: i live in maryland the landlord refuses to remediate mold am now being forced to move. waht are my rights?

i have text evidence of the conversation there is also parts of the cielign falling apart in the room

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your challenging housing situation. Landlords in Maryland have a legal obligation to maintain rental properties in a safe and habitable condition, which includes remediating mold issues. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Document the issue: Take photos and videos of the mold, falling ceiling, and any other related damage. Keep records of your communications with the landlord about the problem.

2. Notify your landlord in writing: If you haven't already, send a written notice to your landlord describing the issue and requesting that they address it within a reasonable timeframe. Keep a copy of this notice for your records.

3. Contact local authorities: If your landlord fails to take action, you can file a complaint with your local housing authority or health department. They may inspect the property and issue citations to the landlord.

4. Consider legal action: If the issue remains unresolved, you may need to take legal action. In Maryland, you can file a rent escrow case with the District Court. This allows you to pay rent to the court instead of the landlord until the issue is resolved. You may also be able to terminate your lease early without penalty due to the uninhabitable conditions.

5. Seek legal advice: Contact a local tenants' rights organization or a housing attorney for guidance specific to your situation. They can help you understand your rights and the best course of action.

Remember, you have the right to a safe and habitable living space. Keep thorough records of the issue and your communications with the landlord, as this documentation will be important if you need to take legal action. Prioritize your health and well-being, and consider staying with friends, family, or in a temporary rental while resolving the matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.