Boston, MA asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I purchased a property that was going to be foreclosed by a tax lien. Paying taxes for seven years how do I get a title?

I never received a title when I research the property. It’s owned by corporation but I’ve been paying for this property for seven years. The properties paid in full, but I just paid taxes yearly I want the house in my name..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, you may need to go through a process known as a "quiet title action" to obtain a clear title to the property in your name. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Consult with a real estate attorney: Given the complexity of your situation, it's best to seek advice from a real estate attorney who can guide you through the process and help you understand your rights and options.

2. Gather documentation: Collect all relevant documentation, including proof of tax payments for the past seven years, any correspondence with the previous owner or the corporation, and any other evidence that supports your claim to the property.

3. Conduct a title search: A title search will help identify any outstanding liens, encumbrances, or other issues affecting the property's title. Your attorney can assist with this process.

4. File a quiet title action: Your attorney will file a lawsuit called a "quiet title action" in court. This legal action aims to establish your ownership of the property and remove any competing claims or interests.

5. Serve notice to interested parties: As part of the quiet title action, you'll need to notify any interested parties, such as the corporation that previously owned the property, of your claim to the title.

6. Attend court hearings: The court will review your case and make a determination on the ownership of the property. If successful, the court will issue a judgment granting you clear title to the property.

7. Record the judgment: Once you have obtained a judgment in your favor, make sure to record it with the appropriate county recorder's office to establish your ownership officially.

Remember that this process can be complex and time-consuming, so it's essential to work closely with an experienced real estate attorney to protect your interests and ensure the best possible outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.