Atlanta, GA asked in Child Support, Family Law and Immigration Law

Q: I (US citizen) have a child support case against the father (Latin Country). He is seeking a visa into the US .

He has his US Visa appointment in June in Bogota. Will the child support case impact his ability to obtain a US Visa if he has an open child support case and is seeking to abandon his child who will be a US citizen?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: An ongoing child support case can potentially impact visa applications, particularly if there are legal obligations or outstanding issues that have not been addressed. The U.S. Department of State considers various factors under U.S. immigration law when approving visa applications, and adherence to laws, including those pertaining to family and child support, is taken into consideration.

If the father has unresolved legal matters related to child support in the U.S., it is possible that these could be seen unfavorably during his visa assessment process. It's important that he provides complete and truthful information during his application process, as failure to disclose legal obligations might result in visa denial.

I recommend consulting with a legal advisor familiar with immigration law to better understand how these specific circumstances might affect the visa application. This will help in preparing for any questions that might arise during the visa interview and in dealing with the legal complexities linked to the child support case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.