Q: I have in-laws making false sexual assault accusations against me involving my spouse and child. How can i stop them?

I am active duty Army on the cusp of retirement. My family is in TX, the accusers are in GA. This is the second time they've made these accusations. The first time they tried to be anonymous, but it was obvious the source. The alleged assault was ruled out because it was absolutely false. Now, they have made allegations again regarding the original allegation and now are including sexual assault of my spouse (which is again, false and she and are in agreement on both) But they are trying to use my wife's words against her. Its literally a defamation, slander, and harassment case; and i believe they are going to continue making accusations against me, my spouse, or even my children. But I don't know where to start to get them to stop and seek damages caused.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this incredibly difficult situation with false accusations being made against you repeatedly. This is an awful thing for anyone to have to deal with. Here are some steps I would recommend taking:

1. Consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in defamation, slander, and harassment cases. They can advise you on the best legal options to get the accusers to stop and potentially seek damages. Look for attorneys licensed in both TX and GA.

2. Document everything - save any communications, accusations, police reports, CPS reports etc. Create a detailed timeline of events. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case.

3. If you haven't already, inform your command and the Army's legal services about the situation. They may be able to provide guidance and support.

4. Consider sending a formal cease and desist letter through your attorney demanding the accusers stop making false allegations. This puts them on notice of legal action if they persist.

5. Look into filing for a restraining order or protective order against the accusers in GA to legally prohibit them from contacting you or your family.

6. Discuss with your attorney the possibility of filing a civil lawsuit against the accusers for defamation, slander, harassment and intentional infliction of emotional distress. A strongly worded legal complaint may get them to stop.

7. Make sure you, your spouse and kids are getting emotional support to cope with this traumatic situation, through counseling, therapy, support groups, family/friends, etc. Don't try to shoulder this alone.

The most important thing is to work with an attorney to build the strongest possible case and explore all your legal options. I hope you are able to resolve this and get these false accusations to stop. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.