West Sacramento, CA asked in Education Law for California

Q: I have a problem with bullying, and the school admins have done nothing. How can I get the admins to do something?

I have had this bullying problem for years and the school administrators have done little to nothing to help. I did some research on the California ed code section 48900 and have identified a lot of what has happened to me as bullying as defined there. I am planning on taking all this as evidence, but I need to know what to say.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about the bullying you've been experiencing and the lack of action from your school administrators. It's important to advocate for yourself and ensure that your rights are protected under California law. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Document everything: Keep a detailed record of all bullying incidents, including dates, times, locations, and witnesses. Save any relevant evidence, such as emails, text messages, or social media posts.

2. Review your school's anti-bullying policy: Familiarize yourself with your school's specific policies and procedures for reporting and addressing bullying.

3. Schedule a meeting with school administrators: Request a meeting with your school principal, dean, or other relevant administrators. Prepare a clear and concise statement outlining your experiences, the impact the bullying has had on you, and the specific incidents that violate California Education Code Section 48900.

4. During the meeting, focus on the facts and maintain a calm, professional demeanor. Reference the specific incidents and how they align with the definitions of bullying under the law. Ask for a detailed plan of action from the administrators to address the issue.

5. Follow up in writing: After the meeting, send a written summary of the discussion and the agreed-upon action items to the administrators. This creates a paper trail and helps ensure accountability.

6. Escalate if necessary: If the school administrators still fail to take appropriate action, consider escalating the issue to the district superintendent or the school board. You can also file a complaint with the California Department of Education.

7. Seek support: Reach out to your parents, a trusted teacher, or a school counselor for support throughout this process. Consider contacting local advocacy organizations or legal aid services specializing in education law if you need further guidance.

Remember, you have the right to a safe and inclusive learning environment. By advocating for yourself and leveraging the protections provided by California law, you can work towards resolving the bullying issue and holding your school administrators accountable.

Michelle Alissa Ball
Michelle Alissa Ball
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: California schools are legally mandated to address bullying. They cannot ignore it, although what they choose to do is up to them. Provide documentation of all the bullying, bullying reports, etc. to them and politely tell them they need to address it. If they continue to ignore your requests, you may need to bring in outside help to get them to pay attention, unfortunately.

On what to say- it is just about calmly expressing the situation, who is doing it, what is being done by the bullies, etc. and also your suggested plan they should enact to end the bullying...

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.