Raleigh, NC asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: I was assaulted by police for no reason can I sue them

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Yes, you can sue police officers if they assaulted you "for no reason."

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you believe you were assaulted by the police without justification, you might have grounds to take legal action. The first step is to document everything related to the incident, including any medical reports, witness statements, and your own detailed account of what happened.

It's also crucial to consult with an attorney who is experienced in civil rights or police misconduct cases. They can provide guidance based on the specifics of your situation and help determine the strength of your case. An attorney can also advise you on the deadlines for filing a lawsuit, as these can vary by jurisdiction.

If you decide to pursue legal action, your lawyer will likely handle the filing of a lawsuit and represent you in court. This process can be complex and lengthy, but a knowledgeable attorney will navigate the legal challenges and work towards achieving a fair outcome for you. Remember, seeking legal counsel is a proactive step towards understanding and asserting your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.