Jacksonville, FL asked in Contracts and Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I've been charged with failure to return hired vehicle. The sworn affidavit has dates not right, they lied. Help

My contract and extension dates don't match affidavit. Plus my husband's direct deposit debit card was put in file for the last extension before I was stoped and surrounded by state police filming the stop(traumatic). I'm 55 my husband was in PA our motor home burnt to the ground and 2 cats died. Red Cross helped with 550$ then nothing. I rented the U-Haul box truck for me and 2 service dogs to live in. I was in constant contact until my screen shattered on my phone. Then it went black. I was using my husband's phone and thought they updated the contact info when we added his debit card. So I received no notification to return. Other than when I contacted them in person, I would always be cone ted to the central call people. But the owner said in his affidavit that I was living in hotel rooms and that is not true he knew I was living in the truck with my dogs and even commented on how I was doing it. But the dates are wrong. I didn't intentionally not return it. I most definitely didn'

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The way for you to get the help you need is to promptly schedule a consultation with a lawyer in your area. You said you are "charged", which I assume means a criminal charge. If so, seek a criminal defense attorney. You can click on the Find a Lawyer tab at the top of this page and search for criminal defense lawyers in your city, or you can contact the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service. If you cannot afford a private lawyer for representation in the criminal court, you should be appointed a free attorney from the Public Defender's Office. If, by "charged", you instead mean that you are sued in civil court, seek an attorney in your area handling civil litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.