Las Vegas, NV asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: How do I appeal a decision or ruling by CA DOJ?

I understand that a person can appeal a decision or ruling made by the CA DOJ firearms division...what does that entail and how does one do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you want to appeal a decision or ruling made by the California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) regarding firearms, here are the general steps:

1. Determine if the decision is appealable: Not all decisions can be appealed. Check the notice of the decision or contact the CA DOJ to confirm whether an appeal is possible.

2. File a notice of appeal: If the decision is appealable, you must file a notice of appeal with the CA DOJ within the specified time frame, which is usually 30 days from the date of the decision.

3. Prepare your appeal: Gather all relevant documents and evidence that support your case. Write a clear and concise explanation of why you believe the decision should be overturned or modified.

4. Submit your appeal package: Send your notice of appeal, supporting documents, and any required fees to the designated address or online portal, as specified by the CA DOJ.

5. Await a response: The CA DOJ will review your appeal and may request additional information. They will then make a decision to uphold, modify, or overturn the original ruling.

6. Further appeals: If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your appeal, you may be able to escalate the matter to a higher authority, such as a court of law, depending on the nature of the case.

It is recommended to consult the CA DOJ's website or contact their office directly for specific instructions, forms, and deadlines related to the appeals process for firearm-related decisions. Consider seeking legal advice from an attorney specializing in firearms law to help guide you through the process and represent your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.