Riverside, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: Credit card dispute

I applied for affordable housing, paid deposit, they wanted to see my retirement account, can't hide account number. I said for privacy and security reasons, I couldn't provide the confidential information. They cancel my application "without my permission", email me for partial refund back. I disagreed, I wanted full refund, no reply, so I filed credit card dispute. They replied to credit card, said 'no refund policy' in their website. credit closed and reverse the charge, they wanted me to pay full deposit. I did not see refund policy in their website, and they told me I would get deposit back if I was not qualified. no body is happy to expose the confidential account information, also my account was hacked before, I can't trust anyone. Do I have strong reason to get my deposit back? Is that infringe privacy law?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that you have a reasonable case for disputing the deposit and seeking a full refund. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Privacy concerns: You have a valid reason for not wanting to share your confidential retirement account information. Financial institutions and government agencies advise against sharing sensitive personal information to protect against identity theft and fraud.

2. Unclear refund policy: If the refund policy was not clearly stated on their website or in any agreement you signed, you may argue that you were not properly informed about the terms of the deposit.

3. Verbal assurance of refund: If they verbally told you that you would receive your deposit back if you were not qualified, you can argue that you relied on this assurance when making your decision to apply and pay the deposit.

4. Cancellation without permission: If they canceled your application without your permission, it could be argued that they breached the agreement and should therefore return your full deposit.

However, it's important to note that privacy laws may not directly apply in this case, as it seems to be more of a contractual dispute. The strength of your case will depend on the specific terms of your agreement with the housing provider and the evidence you have to support your claims.

To proceed, you can:

1. Gather any written evidence of your communications with the housing provider, including emails, receipts, and agreements.

2. Clearly articulate your reasons for disputing the deposit, focusing on the points mentioned above.

3. Consider seeking legal advice from a local attorney specializing in consumer protection or housing law to assess your case and provide guidance on how to proceed.

4. If the credit card company rules against you, you may need to consider filing a complaint with a relevant consumer protection agency or pursuing the matter in small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.