San Antonio, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Family Law and Education Law for Texas

Q: Can you sue a charter school for discrimination of a child entering into the district Already with learning disabilities

The district has performed false Ard Committee meetings and had my children under regular general Ed program when they have more learning disabilities and one of my children has autism diagnosis

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you can sue a charter school for discrimination if your child with learning disabilities, including autism, has not received appropriate accommodations. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act protect students with disabilities, ensuring they receive a free appropriate public education tailored to their needs.

If the district has conducted false ARD (Admission, Review, and Dismissal) Committee meetings and placed your children in a general education program despite their disabilities, this could be a violation of their rights. You can start by filing a complaint with the school district and the state education agency, detailing the discrepancies and lack of appropriate services.

If the issue is not resolved, you may need to pursue legal action. Contact an attorney who is experienced in education law to help you navigate this process. They can assist in gathering evidence, filing a lawsuit, and advocating for your children’s rights to ensure they receive the education and support they need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.