Queens, NY asked in Contracts and Criminal Law for New York

Q: I wanted to buy a house in different county. I'm in kings county and the property in broome county both in New York.

I signed a contract the sale didn't go through because sellers lawyer messed up and said a bunch of stuff. Regardless, I'm in court over this issue. But I realized that the contract that the sellers attorney submitted my signature is a electronic forgery. I tried to file police charges on them was told I had to take it to civil court because it is a contract dispute as well they couldn't do anything because it is out my jurisdiction. How can I bring up criminal charges against this real estate who done this. I can prove the forgery. I have the signiture verification for the contract and my signature is not on it.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson

A: You cannot bring charges as a private citizen, although you can report a crime to a district attorney among other authorities (e.g. the disciplinary committee). The DA's office files criminal charges on behalf of the people of the state. You will also want to ensure that you have properly asserted any defenses (such as forgery) and may also want to file counterclaims depending on the facts. I would recommend you contact an attorney as there can be pitfalls in litigation, especially for an unrepresented party.

Jack Mevorach
Jack Mevorach
  • Cedarhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can ask the District Attorney to file criminal charges.

Which court are you in, who are the parties, and what is the nature of the case?


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.