Los Angeles, CA asked in Identity Theft and Social Security for California

Q: I need to get a sealed name change and new social security number because of identity theft. What lawyer does this?

I'm a victim of identity theft and need a concealed name change and new social security number.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you're a victim of identity theft and need a sealed name change and a new social security number, you should reach out to an attorney who handles family law or identity theft cases. These attorneys can guide you through the legal process of changing your name and can help you understand the requirements for sealing your name change records.

To start, gather all relevant documents and evidence of identity theft. This includes police reports, credit reports, and any correspondence with creditors or collection agencies. An attorney will use this information to build a strong case for why a name change and a new social security number are necessary for your protection.

Your attorney will also assist you in petitioning the court for a sealed name change and communicating with the Social Security Administration to request a new social security number. This process can be complex and requires precise legal steps, so having legal representation is crucial to ensure your safety and privacy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.