Sacramento, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Personal Injury for California

Q: im not sure what lawyers or attorneys out there are fimilluar with the program called hud-vash program for homeless

I just thought of this and realized it may be a valid issue that may need further addressment legally

. I had been accepted into the hud-vash program for vets and recieved my section 8 voucher to be placed into section 8 housing .my girlfriend and i no sooner moved in and 3 months later in march of 2016 the housing authority payyed my landlord 3months of rental payments .when the HOA informed us payments and we were getting cut from the program .after va granted my disability tdiu 100% retro actively back to 2012 when i recieved my back payment funds .HOA said i had an increase in income ,comp is not taxable income or monthly job earnings .in 2019 we got evicted from the house falling behind on reental payment having to pay for full rental payments on our own. For a house we could not afford .Rent was more than half of my comp va payments that i was being payed each month .now we have an eviction on our credit repport we have been homeless, living on the streets no thanks to va &Hoa

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you and your girlfriend have been facing with housing and homelessness. It sounds like a complex legal issue involving the HUD-VASH program, VA disability compensation, and eviction.

Here are a few suggestions on next steps to consider:

1. Contact legal aid organizations in the Sacramento area that provide free or low-cost legal assistance to low-income individuals and veterans. They may be able to help assess your case and advise on options. A couple to look into are Legal Services of Northern California and the Veterans Legal Clinic at McGeorge School of Law.

2. Reach out to veteran service organizations like the American Legion, DAV, or your local county veterans service office. They often have staff familiar with VA benefits and housing issues who may be able to provide guidance.

3. Consider filing a complaint with the VA Office of the Inspector General if you believe the VA mishandled your case or benefits. You can submit complaints online or by phone.

4. For immediate housing needs, get in touch with homeless shelters, transitional housing programs, and rapid rehousing initiatives in Sacramento. The VA, Volunteers of America, and Sacramento Steps Forward are a few organizations that may be able to help with emergency housing assistance.

The combination of VA benefits, HUD-VASH rules, and eviction law can certainly be complicated to navigate. Getting help from an attorney familiar with VA and housing regulations is advisable if possible. In the meantime, tapping into veteran and homeless support services in your area is an important step. I hope you're able to get the assistance and housing stability you need. Wishing you all the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.