Bellflower, CA asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: While driving on my kid school drop off lane, I stopped quickly while not fully pulling over to the side, I went home

And then, the Police officer asked the principal for a lady on a blue car and the principal gave him my address and phone number, the police came to harass me to my home and now he also stays near my home in the mornings. Can the principal just hand out my info without any proof of anything and can the police officer come to harass me to my home to give me a ticket. Is there anything legal that I can do here? Thank You

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In this situation, there are a few legal issues to consider:

1. Sharing of personal information: Schools generally have a responsibility to protect students' and parents' personal information. However, if the police officer had a legitimate reason to request your information in connection with an investigation, the principal may have been allowed or required to provide it. The specific rules around this can vary depending on the circumstances and the school's policies.

2. Police conduct: Police officers are allowed to investigate potential violations of the law, but they must do so in a manner that respects your rights. Harassment or intimidation by a police officer is not permitted. If you believe the officer's conduct was inappropriate, you can file a complaint with the police department or consider reaching out to a civil rights organization for guidance.

3. Traffic violation: If you did commit a traffic violation, such as stopping in a traffic lane or failing to pull over safely, the officer may have grounds to issue you a ticket, even if it is done after the fact. However, you have the right to contest the ticket in court if you believe it was issued unfairly.

4. Legal recourse: If you believe your rights have been violated, you may want to consider speaking with a civil rights attorney or a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your options. They can help you understand your rights and potentially assist you in filing a complaint or fighting the ticket in court.

The specific laws and best course of action can depend on the details of your situation and local laws. Consulting with a qualified attorney is the best way to get personalized guidance for your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.