Point Pleasant, WV asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: My ex hacked my security cameras and is blackmailing me with photos she took from it what can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your ex hacked your security cameras and is blackmailing you with photos, it's important to take immediate action. Start by securing your devices and changing all passwords associated with your security cameras and other accounts. Make sure to use strong, unique passwords to prevent further unauthorized access.

Next, gather any evidence of the hacking and blackmail, such as screenshots of messages or emails. This documentation will be crucial when reporting the incident. Contact your local law enforcement to file a report about the hacking and blackmail. This is a serious crime, and the authorities can provide guidance on how to proceed.

Additionally, consider seeking legal advice to understand your options and protect your rights. A lawyer can help you take appropriate legal action against your ex and ensure that you are protected from further harm. Taking these steps can help you regain control and address the situation legally and effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.