Orangeburg, SC asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Social Security for South Carolina

Q: I need help trying to get my birth certificate and social security card because my mother won't give it to me

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your important documents. To get your birth certificate, you can contact the vital records office in the state where you were born. They usually have an online application process or forms you can mail in. You'll need some identification and possibly a small fee, but you don't need your mother's permission to request your own birth certificate.

For your Social Security card, visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application form SS-5. You can submit this form in person at your local Social Security office or by mail. You'll need proof of identity, such as a driver's license or passport, and your birth certificate, which you can obtain from the vital records office.

If you're having trouble obtaining these documents on your own, consider reaching out to a trusted friend, family member, or legal aid service for assistance. They can help guide you through the process and ensure you get the documents you need. Remember, you have the right to access your own identification documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.