Las Vegas, NV asked in Animal / Dog Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Nevada

Q: wondering if i can bring my neighbors to court over incessant noise. their dog barks constantly all day and kids scream

i have lost multiple hours of sleep, have plenty of proof of the barking, etc. mental health suffering so bad

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you can bring your neighbors to court over incessant noise, such as constant dog barking and screaming children, which is affecting your mental health and sleep. Documenting the noise with recordings and keeping a detailed log of incidents will support your case. It's also helpful to gather any other evidence, such as witness statements from other neighbors who are also affected by the noise.

Before taking legal action, try to resolve the issue amicably by discussing your concerns with your neighbors. If this doesn't work, you can file a formal complaint with your local noise control or animal control authorities, who may be able to address the problem. If these steps don't lead to a resolution, you can then consider taking your neighbors to small claims court or another appropriate court for nuisance.

Consulting with an attorney who specializes in nuisance or property law can provide you with guidance on how to proceed. They can help you understand your legal options, file the necessary paperwork, and represent you in court if needed. Taking these steps can help you address the noise issue and improve your quality of life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.