Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Intellectual Property

Q: Hi, I have to sign a NDA to receive certain documentations, but since I am under 19, could my parents sign it?

I have been wanting documentation on a camera sensor, but for the supplier to provide it, I need to sign an NDA. What is the legality of having my parents sign it on my behalf, since I have to see the documentation and I am under 19, the legal age to sign a non disclosure agreement.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you are under 19 and need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) for documentation on a camera sensor, you will likely need your parents' help. As a minor, you generally do not have the legal capacity to enter into binding contracts, including NDAs. Your parents, as your legal guardians, can sign on your behalf.

When your parents sign the NDA, it becomes their responsibility to ensure that the terms are upheld. This means they need to understand and agree to all the obligations and restrictions within the document. It's important to communicate with them about why you need the NDA and the importance of the documentation.

Additionally, you should make sure that the supplier is aware of your age and your parents' involvement. They may have specific procedures for situations involving minors. Always keep an open line of communication to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.