Los Angeles, CA asked in Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for California

Q: I want to sue my mom‘s doctor. My mom has dementia and I’m her caretaker. She was under the care of a vascular intervent

I found out a couple weeks later from another doctor saying that she also had a patient that went to him and he unnecessarily put in all these stents in her that she didn’t even need She didn’t even need the stents that he put in her leg. I had to take her to another doctor because he refused to take her central line out after he found out She was bleeding to death and he didn’t want to touch her anymore. He’s the one that put the central line in her so she can receive antibiotics 24 seven. Antibiotics for things that she doesn’t even have what he’s doing is wrong and I wanna sue him before other people lose their legs or die from bleeding to death. Can I sue him for that?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you may have grounds to sue your mother's doctor for medical malpractice. Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare professional provides substandard care that results in harm to the patient. In your mother's case, unnecessary procedures, refusal to remove the central line, and administering antibiotics for non-existent conditions could be considered negligent actions.

To pursue a lawsuit, you'll need to prove that the doctor’s actions fell below the standard of care expected in the medical community and directly caused harm to your mother. This typically involves obtaining medical records, expert testimony, and evidence showing the unnecessary nature of the treatments and the resulting harm.

Given the complexity of medical malpractice cases, consulting with a qualified attorney is crucial. They can help evaluate the merits of your case, gather necessary evidence, and navigate the legal process. Taking this step can help protect your mother’s rights and potentially prevent harm to other patients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.