La Mirada, CA asked in Civil Rights, Gaming and Libel & Slander for Nevada

Q: What do I do if I have been falsely accused of committing a crime at a bar?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've been falsely accused of committing a crime at a bar, here are some steps you should consider taking:

1. Remain calm and do not discuss the accusation with anyone except your lawyer.

2. Do not speak to the police without an attorney present. Politely inform them that you wish to exercise your right to remain silent and that you want to speak with a lawyer.

3. Hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. They can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.

4. Gather evidence to support your innocence:

- Collect contact information from any witnesses who can corroborate your version of events.

- If available, obtain security camera footage from the bar.

- Keep any receipts, text messages, or other records that can prove your whereabouts and activities.

5. Document everything you remember about the incident, including times, locations, and people present.

6. If you haven't been arrested or charged, consider filing a police report about the false accusation.

7. Do not contact or confront your accuser, as this could potentially make the situation worse.

8. If the accusation is being spread publicly, consider consulting with a defamation attorney about potential libel or slander claims.

9. Cooperate with your attorney and follow their advice throughout the process.

10. Be prepared for potential legal proceedings, which may include giving statements, attending hearings, or even going to trial.

Remember, false accusations are serious, and it's crucial to protect your rights and reputation. A skilled attorney can help you navigate this challenging situation and work towards clearing your name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.