La Mirada, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Gaming for Nevada

Q: What do I do if I have been falsely accused of committing a crime and reprimanded for it

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here's how I would advise handling a situation where you've been falsely accused of a crime and reprimanded:

1. Stay calm and don't panic. False accusations are serious, but there are ways to address them.

2. Do not discuss the accusation with anyone except your lawyer. Anything you say could potentially be used against you.

3. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. They can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.

4. Gather and preserve any evidence that may prove your innocence. This could include alibis, witnesses, receipts, surveillance footage, etc.

5. Document everything related to the accusation and reprimand, including dates, times, and details of conversations.

6. If you've been reprimanded at work, review your company's policies and consider consulting with an employment lawyer.

7. Do not confront your accuser directly. Let your lawyer handle all communication.

8. Consider filing a defamation lawsuit if the false accusation has damaged your reputation.

9. If you've been arrested or charged, do not resist. Comply with law enforcement but exercise your right to remain silent until your lawyer is present.

10. Be prepared for a potentially lengthy legal process. False accusations can take time to resolve.

11. Consider seeking counseling or support to help you cope with the stress of the situation.

Remember, you have rights, and you're presumed innocent until proven guilty. A skilled attorney can help you navigate this challenging situation and work towards clearing your name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.