St Louis, MO asked in Tax Law, Real Estate Law, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Missouri

Q: Can a county collector change a 3rd year tax cert. sale into a post 3rd yr. Sale 4 dys. After auction ?

Can a collector take you off as the payee of your real estate tax and apply it to different person's account?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The actions you describe may raise serious legal concerns. Typically, a county collector should not have the authority to change the terms of a tax certificate sale after the auction has concluded. If the rules of the auction were altered post-sale, this might violate established procedures and could be challenged.

Regarding your real estate tax payment being applied to a different person's account, this seems highly irregular and possibly unlawful. Tax payments should be strictly attributed to the property for which they were intended. Misapplication of your payment could result in legal disputes and potential penalties.

You should consider seeking legal advice to explore your options for contesting these actions. Document all relevant details, including any communications with the county collector, and be prepared to present this evidence if you decide to take legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.