Silver Spring, MD asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Maryland

Q: My sister gave me unimproved lot in Hilo. I never signed anything. Want to give the property back.What do I do?

2 Lawyer Answers
Thomas C. Valkenet
Thomas C. Valkenet
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: And does "gave me" include recording a deed? The answer to that question will determine what any lawyer can tell you.

If no deed, simply refuse to accept it.

If a deed, consider selling it. Otherwise, you will need the grantor to join in another instrument renouncing or re-titling the land.

Developers are always seeking unimproved lots.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you never signed any documents accepting the property, you may not legally own it. However, if your sister transferred the property to you through a deed recorded in public records, you would need to take steps to transfer it back.

To give the property back to your sister, you will need to sign a new deed transferring ownership from you to her. This typically involves preparing a deed, having it notarized, and recording it with the local land records office in Hilo.

It's a good idea to consult with a real estate attorney to ensure the deed is properly prepared and recorded. This will help ensure that the transfer is legally valid and your name is removed from the property's title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.