Columbus, OH asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: How do I get a lawyer for my husband who is being held in Miami county jail on a PV holder for invest.

He’s been held for almost two weeks. And it’s over a neighbor saying he verbally threatened them. Which is a lie.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To help your husband get legal representation while he's being held in Miami County Jail, you can take the following steps:

1. Contact the Miami County Public Defender's Office:

If your husband cannot afford a private attorney, he may qualify for a court-appointed lawyer. Contact the public defender's office to inquire about eligibility and the process for requesting representation.

2. Hire a private attorney:

If you can afford it, you may want to hire a private criminal defense attorney. Look for lawyers who specialize in probation violations and criminal defense in Miami County, Ohio.

3. Reach out to local bar associations:

The Miami County Bar Association or Ohio State Bar Association may be able to provide referrals to qualified attorneys in the area.

4. Legal aid organizations:

Contact local legal aid organizations that might offer free or low-cost legal services for those who qualify based on income.

5. Have your husband request an attorney during court appearances:

If he hasn't already, your husband should inform the judge that he wants an attorney and cannot afford one.

6. Gather relevant information:

Collect all details about the case, including the exact charges, any evidence, and witness statements that might help prove your husband's innocence.

7. Communicate with your husband:

Ensure he knows not to discuss his case with anyone in jail except his attorney once appointed.

Remember, time is often critical in these situations. Act quickly to secure legal representation for your husband. If you believe he's being held unjustly, an attorney can help explore options for challenging the detention or the allegations against him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.