Maine Immigration Law Questions & Answers

Q: What are the minimum legal requirements for U.S. citizens to maintain residency in the United States?

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maine on
Answered on Apr 20, 2018
Elisha F Svosve's answer
In regards to the US citizenship aspect of your question, you are not limited/restricted as to how much time you can spend outside of the USA.

Q: If I marry a UK citizen in London, what's the process for bringing my wife to live here?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maine on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Randall Drew's answer
You will have to file a petition for her to immigrate to the United States. She cannot fly back with you after the marriage ceremony. It actually takes several months for a petition to be approved by USCIS. Then she has to apply for a visa with the US Department of State. There is a medical exam, police clearances, and an interview at the US Embassy. Then they will send her back her passport with the visa in it. She has to then go online and pay a fee to have her greencard produced before she...

Q: Can I bring my Filipina wife's little sister to the States?

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maine on
Answered on Nov 16, 2017
Randall Drew's answer
You can't file a family based petition for her like you could for your wife. When your wife becomes a citizen of the United States she could file for her but that takes a VERY long time to result in resident status.

When you say little sister, does that mean school age? She might be able to come over temporarily as a student for a number of years.

Q: I would like to sponsor my children to come to the US, but one is 19 and the other is 21. Are they too old to be

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maine on
Answered on Jul 29, 2017
Matthew J Hartnett's answer
Assuming you are a permanent resident or US citizen, you can file for the 19 year old. If you haven't started the process for the 21 year old, its ok, but his or her case may take longer if they have aged out. Consider discussing with an attorney.

Q: I am 16 years old on a f1 visa ,would I be able to obtain a social security number to work in the summers ?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maine on
Answered on Nov 17, 2015
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers' answer
There are questions and answers similar to your situation on our website. You can locate them at Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.