Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Vermont Immigration Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: I have H4 visa. Got selected in H1B and got i797a approval. But ...

I have H4 visa. Got selected in H1B and got i797a approval. But my change of status (cos) is not done yet. Can i re-enter on my valid H4 visa ?

Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 27, 2019

Your better option is to apply for an H1B visa, based on the I-797A approval notice. Then, you will be able to bypass the change-of-status delay and re-enter the USA as an H1B worker.

This answer assumes you did not violate your H4 visa status prior to leaving the USA, for example...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Criminal Law for Vermont on

Q: Will a consular ID card and international drivers license allow you to purchase ammunition in the state of Vermont?

I'm having a hard time finding an answer for this question. This is a fictional scenario, but I need to know if a non-U.S. citizen who only has an international drivers license and a consular ID card would be able to purchase ammunition and magazines in the state of Vermont. I see the state of... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 13, 2018

This is not an immigration question. You need to consult with a criminal attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: How does an arrest for a minor offense affect a person's green card status?

Carl Shusterman answered on May 9, 2018

It depends. If you are convicted of a drug offense, for example, you could be deported. On the other hand, a petty theft conviction may have no effect on your ability to qualify for a green card.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: If I get caught with drugs on me while living in the U.S., how can that affect my immigration status?

Carl Shusterman answered on May 9, 2018

This could result in you being deported from the United States.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: What are the penalties for overstaying a visa?

Carl Shusterman answered on May 9, 2018

Generally, this prevents you from adjusting your status to green card holder in the US with certain exceptions. If you leave the US, you may be subject to a 3 or a 10-year bar to returning to the US unless you obtain an "extreme hardship" waiver.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: Englishman by origin.Have U.S.child aged 15.Lived in U.S more than11yrs.Worked & filed taxes.Disabled.(Need green card)

I cannot be deported but I do not have a green card. Had won the visa lotto from the department of state twelve years ago.Have family members who are U.S citizens.Have a disability,have worked,filed taxes in my name and tax I.D number.When shall I get a Green card? I am from europe england since... Read more »

Gus M. Shihab Esq answered on Dec 5, 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your question on this forum.

The law requires your child to be 21 years of age in order to apply for you. The question is unclear as to how you originally entered the US. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney on your current...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.