Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Florida Criminal Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: Last October my son was arrested for battery and still going to court. The person who accused him has not been to court

And no longer lives in state. He was offered 90 days. Can he somehow get this thrown out. He was arrested on 11/8/20 on new unrelated charges and was told the battery charge has to be taken care before he can have a bond on new charges

Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland answered on Dec 5, 2020

Your son’s problem is the new arrest while out on bond. That’s why he can’t bond out. The new arrest reveals nothing about the first arrest. Either the witness who moved out of state shows up for trial or not. Depending on Covid it might be quite some time before a trial is started. Whether... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: If I was served a warrant for an alleged crime out of county aren’t I entitled to a police report or probable cause

I was charged with a fleeing and eluding charge and driving without a license from out of my county. I believe this happened when my vehicle was stolen as I would remember if I ran from police. I was picked up on the warrant and was never given copy of the police report , or given any kind of... Read more »

Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland answered on Aug 18, 2020

You are asserting your innocence. The innocent and falsely accused need an attorney more than those who might have some degree of involvement. You start the process by retaining a specialist criminal defense attorney who will document and structure your defense; and also make sure no court dates... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: my question is regarding right to a speedy trial. I haven't as much as been to a pre-trial. arrest in Dec.

arrested in dec.2019 and haven't been to a first court appearance and i feel 6 months is plenty of time

Henry George Ferro
Henry George Ferro answered on Aug 7, 2020

As you may have heard, the nation and its judicial system has been struck by a pandemic that seems to be paralyzing the judicial system. There have been no jury trials for some time and until the justices of the supreme court of Florida or the Supreme Court of the United States says... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: Why do I have a change of plea hearing for a misdemeanor case? I didn't ask for it.

I've told my lawyer I'm not accepting any plea deals. Did my lawyer make a mistake or is this part of the normal process?

My lawyer told me it's normal and that it's just a hearing where they offer you a plea deal.

John Stephen Hager
John Stephen Hager answered on Jul 14, 2020

Typically a change of plea hearing is set when you come to an agreement with the prosecutor to resolve your case. If you do not want to resolve your case via a plea, then the matter will be set for a later status date then trial. During the Pandemic, a lot of prosecutors are setting on a change... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: I found out I have a warrant but it does not state what the warrant is for, what do I do?
Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland answered on May 24, 2020

Call a lawyer or a bail bondsman. The bondsman’s business is to help people post bail to get out of jail. You want to make sure what the bail is before you turn yourself in. It will be more difficult to make financial arrangements from jail. If bail is too high, you need to be talking with a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.