Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Minnesota Civil Rights Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Minnesota on
Q: Can my daughter be held in Nobels county jail for 11 months without a trial because of the virus

My daughter was arrested for transporting meth from SD in December 2019. Her court date was set for March because of the virus the trial was reset for July 28, my daughter just now received a letter moving her trial until November can they do this she will be in Jail for a year before she is... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Jul 8, 2020

They certainly can if she has not demanded a speedy trial. If she has made such a demand, there is an analysis that gets done about whether her right to a speedy trial is being violated and if so, what the remedy should be. One such remedy might be release from custody. Another such remedy could... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.