Municipal Law Questions & Answers by State

Municipal Law Questions & Answers

Q: What can u do when a hospital officer assaults u breaks your tooth and they got u locked up for retaliation false charge

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Texas on
Answered on Apr 15, 2018
Grant St Julian III's answer
Retain a criminal defense attorney to defend you in the criminal case, and retain a personal injury attorney to file a civil claim against the hospital. Talk with a local attorney as soon as you can in order to preserve any surveillance footage that may be available. Good luck.
View Details »

Q: If I was asked not to return to a store in Florida, is there a time limit to how long I can be trespassed for that store

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Municipal Law and Consumer Law for Florida on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Tina El Fadel's answer
You should not risk returning to that store location if you were told not to. You do not want to get arrested for trespassing. If you are able to go to other store locations but not one specific store, stay away from that store, period. No need to cause problems for yourself when you can go to other store locations.
View Details »

Q: Can the county require us to install a septic alarm system to sell when there wasn't one there when we bought the house?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Municipal Law for Michigan on
Answered on Apr 2, 2018
David Soble's answer
The law and requirements could have changed since you purchased the property. A septic inspection is required for most communities to issue a certificate of occupancy as well as for most lending institutions that will fund the purchase of the transaction. I would check to see if the alarm is now part of their municipal code / regulations, if it is, you are unfortunately stuck.
View Details »

Q: What are the dates a landlord must provide heat ?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Municipal Law for Indiana on
Answered on Apr 2, 2018
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
There must be an adequate supply of heat for rental properties at all time in Indiana. Essentially, this means year round.
View Details »

Q: If charged with Disorderly Conduct in the City of Walnutgrove GA do I have the right to move it out of Municipal Court .

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Georgia on
Answered on Apr 2, 2018
Forrest Clinton Barbour's answer
Consult with a local attorney who is familiar with Walnut Grove.
View Details »

Q: Hello I live in PA an was wondering if it's illegal to Grill food on my roof

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 26, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
No, but if it's a rental property likely a violation of your lease agreement. It can be dangerous as well. You also increase distance sparks etc can travel.
View Details »

Q: Do I have to install a interlock device in Tennessee or can I just wait a year before I drive?

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Municipal Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 22, 2018
Don Himmelberg's answer
Tennessee laws require the installation of ignition interlock devices for all DUI offenders. If you have an emergency and have to get behind the wheel of a car and that car does not have the required device, you may be subject to additional penalties.
View Details »

Q: Can a township enact an ordinance to exempt nonprofits from construction code fees?

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Mar 18, 2018
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.'s answer
Probably, Best to ask the townships counsel, but in general I don't see a reason why not.
View Details »

Q: Can you report someone for blocking your alley with snow

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Answered on Mar 18, 2018
Brandon K. Davis' answer
You can report it to the city.
View Details »

Q: What can I do if someone is in their car and is blocking my way into my own driveway?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 9, 2018
Andrew Bennett's answer
Why are they blocking the road? Is it because of you or directed at someone else?

Video tape then doing so and then call the police. They could be charged with obstructing traffic.
View Details »

Q: The dealership i brought my car from gave me a temp tag that expired on the 4th of February 2018, i brought the car

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Consumer Law for Georgia on
Answered on Mar 5, 2018
Forrest Clinton Barbour's answer
Hire an attorney ASAP. I am in Fayetteville and offer free consultations.
View Details »

Q: What is meant specifically on a Vehicle Tow - Impound Report?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Feb 26, 2018
Jonathan Matthew Holson's answer
The vehicle conditions of release are what things you have to deal with to get the vehicle back. Typically, they would require that there is proof of insurance on the vehicle and that the impound fee be paid before it is released.

Mandatory holds would reference whether there is a reason that the vehicle cannot be released. For example, the vehicle could be held for forfeiture if the owner had multiple DWI's or drugs were found in the vehicle or the car could be held evidentiary...
View Details »

Q: Is it legal to open carry a knife in Florida?

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Florida on
Answered on Feb 23, 2018
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
There doesn't appear to be a similar provision in Florida law. See

Florida Statute 790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.— provides that:

"If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of...
View Details »

Q: Can you ask what evidence has been brought against you ?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Municipal Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Feb 22, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
You can ask anything. But, before any lawyer can tell you whether the you will be entitled to discovery, the lawyer needs to know much more information than you have provided. And, if the evidence to which you refer might lead to a criminal charge, it would be extraordinarily stupid to publish details about your crime on an open web forum. You might get to read your posting again in front of a jury when the prosecutor obtains it by download or subpoena and uses it as your admission against you....
View Details »

Q: I'm a Uber driver, got a ticket for dropping someone off in a far right lane.and the ticket says Impeding traffic flow

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Municipal Law and Traffic Tickets for Georgia on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
Forrest Clinton Barbour's answer
What is your question?
View Details »

Q: Is it constitutional for a large, wealthy, suburban municipality to prohibit residential parking 24/7 everywhere?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
It is constitutional though I wonder what happens if the UPS driver stops or if people have out of town guests unless everyone has a large driveway. Can they? Sure.
View Details »

Q: What are the laws on selling alcohol in a drive thru convenience store in SC? Curbside sales, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Municipal Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
D. Nathan Davis' answer
South Carolina has never allowed drive-through alcohol sales and it would take a change in the ABC Regulations to accomplish this. It is not believed that there is a chance such a rule would pass as the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers would come out in force to stop what they believe would encourage drinking and driving.
View Details »

Q: I'm looking for the legal auth. for a railroad to maintain a bridge for public access to homes for emergency services.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Environmental, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Virginia on
Answered on Feb 19, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
And, your anticipation is that some presently active lawyer will have a present sense recollection of the history of that property and the changing responsibilities for that bridge in 1892 and 1932? How quaint. What may be useful is if you follow the model of historical societies like Peerless Rockville and research all of the documents and deeds, recorded or included in state bills, regarding that property. Combine that with a title search and a tax roll search in Arlington to create a history...
View Details »

Q: Is a public school considered public property or private property?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 14, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
School is quasi-public in Ohio. School board is a quasi-governmental body, a bit public, a bit private. A cop could give a ticket, and then your dad could try fighting it in court. Maybe he wins. Or maybe the cop sees him roll on the school lot, and waits to stop him at the next stop sign on a public street when he doesn't stop for 3 seconds. Or he could just be safe and stop at the sign. A stop is required when exiting any parking lot onto a public street, school or grocery, so whether a...
View Details »

Q: I bonded out on a speeding ticket can i have someone show up to court on my behalf due to my absence

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Missouri on
Answered on Feb 13, 2018
Andrea Rogers' answer
The only person who can show up in court on your behalf is a licensed attorney.

If you paid the bond and they gave you a new court date, here are your choices: 1) you can plead guilty by paying the fine before the court date (if it's the type of ticket that can be paid out of court), or 2) you can hire an attorney to appear in court for you and get your ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction so you won't have points on your driving record and your car insurance rates...
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.