COVID-19 Minnesota Q&A by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Minnesota Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: What are the chances I would win if I take it to court, (especially given the covid-19 situation).

Cop was driving in the opposite direction and made a U-turn. By the time he flashed his lights, the speed limit had changed from 35 to 45 after a right turn. He claimed I was going 50 in a 35 (before the right turn), but I'm sure I wasn't going more than 45. He did end up giving me a... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on May 6, 2020

The CFR would keep it off of your record. That seems like a reasonable disposition. There is no guarantee that taking the matter to court will get you a better result. The COVID-19 issues will not have any effect whatsoever on things. Court dates are simply being delayed because of the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can an alien that can work get unemployment because of covid 19 or will that effect his future immigration status
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Apr 25, 2020

Those who are not citizens can apply and receive unemployment benefits if all of the state requirements are fulfilled. You must have a valid work permit or any immigration status that allows you to work such as a green card, asylee, DACA or TPS status. You must be authorized to work at the time... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Minnesota on
Q: If I pay for a stolen item am I admitting to the crime and can be charged

A lost prevention agent is threatening to charge me with Eating and abetting felony theft if I don’t give him $1700 by Friday how can I be assured that he won’t charge me anyway

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Apr 23, 2020

The civil forfeiture is separate from potential criminal charges. Paying the claim to the loss prevention agent (or the company where the alleged theft occurred) will not protect you against criminal charges. In any event, the company doesn't get to "waive" charges against you.... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota on
Q: I am in an abusive marriage and have a warrant, how can I get around. Going to jail? I cannot leave my home!

My warrant is out of Anoka Co. MN for failure to turn myself in for failing to complete a dwi MADD IMPACT CLASS. My husband made it so I had no way to get to the classes on purpose, I've paid for the classes but was unable to go. I cannot go to jail, he has threatened to sell all my belongings... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Apr 22, 2020

You obviously have a couple of issues going on here.

One, is your warrant. I would suggest getting in touch with the Anoka County Public Defender. You are unemployed so you would obviously qualify for a PD. Explain the issue that you are dealing with and an attorney in the office may be...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.