Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Holly A Wilcox
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can green card holder marry with international student in North Carolina?
Holly A Wilcox
Holly A Wilcox answered on Feb 26, 2017

Immigration status does not affect whether or not two people can get married. The normal marriage requirements will still apply -- you can't be married to someone else, you have to be old enough to get married, etc. However, if the question you are asking is can the green card holder sponsor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina on
Q: I have a conditional resident card. I divorced my husband before my renewal because he hit my daughter.

I didn't report the case but I still have a confession letter from him and pictures of my daughters face (by the way she is disabled). Can I file the renewal on my own? What documentation should I provide?

Holly A Wilcox
Holly A Wilcox answered on Feb 22, 2017

When you file to remove conditions on your green card, you will have the opportunity to explain why you are no longer married to the spouse who sponsored you. However, be sure to hire a qualified immigration attorney to help you because this is a complicated legal argument to make.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina on
Q: I came as a tourist and i got robbed, they robbed my wallet, cellphone an passport, am i eligible for visa U?
Holly A Wilcox
Holly A Wilcox answered on Feb 18, 2017

To be eligible for a U-Visa, you must have been the victim of certain types of crimes. These crimes are usually felonies. You also must have been cooperative with the police in investigating and prosecuting the crime. If the facts of your robbery meet these criteria, you may be eligible for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina on
Q: I was brought to the US at 3 I'm 17 now I'm currently under daca I was wondering when I could do to obtain a green card
Holly A Wilcox
Holly A Wilcox answered on Feb 17, 2017

It depends on your situation. For example, after you turn 18, if you are married to a US citizen or permanent resident, you may be able to apply for a green card through the consulate of your home country. However, you need to speak with an immigration attorney to determine what you may be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina on
Q: My 18 year old daughter and friends were walking around uptown Charlotte and blew a 0.03. Do I need to hire a lawyer

She wasn't driving but underage

Holly A Wilcox
Holly A Wilcox answered on Feb 15, 2017

If your daughter is facing criminal charges, it is always best to hire an attorney. Depending on her record and the level of the crime she was charged with, she may qualify for a public defender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.