Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Divorce Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: I am married contemplating divorce. What are my rights as far as receiving any pension, social security benefits, etc.

My husband lives and works in Germany where he has been for the last 10+ years. I lived in our home in Austin, Texas up until June 2017 when I moved to Santa Fe. We still own the home in Austin, with tenants. We have one grown child.

We are trying to figure out how best to divide everything.

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on May 22, 2019

The answer to your question will depend on counsel gaining a thorough understanding of all of the complicated facts associated with your situation. There are, however, some general concepts that may be helpful.

1. All of the assets you acquired during the marriage (except those acquired...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: In a divorce case motion to compel hearing can I request we skip mediation and just have the judge decide based on fact?

My husband has sold equipment worth $10,000 and has taken all of our possessions off the property and he refuses to comply with discovery or an order to relocate property. His attorney when I attempted to meet and confer has just blown me off telling me we need mediation. Things can't be... Read more »

Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Feb 4, 2019

You can request that the court hold a pretrial conference and request a trial date at the same time. It is customary for courts to send the parties to mediation to see if they can come to some sort of agreement, however if that does in fact fail, then the court generally will set a trial date.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: My husband put his girlfriend on his account can I ask thru a motion that she be removed until the divorce is final
Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Feb 4, 2019

It depends on what type of account you are talking about. If he has put her on a community account, then you could potentially prevent it via a motion to the court, dependent on other surrounding circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: Can my spouse take residential property.

I was living in the residence for 15+ years prior to marrying. My father sold us the property as a married couple. the residence is next door to my elderly parents so that I could be close to them for care as they age.

During the purchase of the property, my husband and I signed the... Read more »

Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Feb 4, 2019

The general rule in New Mexico is that you are entitled to 50% of all community property. Community property is anything that you've acquired during your marriage. Regarding leaving the home, the general rule is that the status quo must be maintained throughout the proceedings. Since it... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: Can someone please help me understand what a 'mixed decision' means in a divorce judgement? thank you
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean answered on Nov 9, 2017

A mixed decision usually means that the judge ruled in one party's favor on some issues, and in the other party's favor on other issues, or even that on individual issues the judge didn't rule entirely the way either party wanted but somewhere in the middle.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: If I am pregnant can we still continue divorce?

We both have significant others. And have been separated 8 months and having pending court dates.

Santo Artusa Jr.
Santo Artusa Jr. answered on Jan 24, 2017

Yes, you can still proceed with a divorce if pregnant.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: My husband divorced me for five months. We have been together a total of ten years. Does the 5months matter legally?

Matter as in length of time married for alimony, settlement, SS etc..

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 6, 2015

Divorces are permanent. They don't last for only 5 months, unless the parties subsequently re-marry.

Assuming that's what you mean, for purposes of a new, second divorce, the length of the second marriage is what would matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: How do I amend my divorce decree concerning allowing me to move my children out of the state of new mexico
Parrish Collins
Parrish Collins answered on Oct 2, 2013

In the absence of agreement by the parties, relocating to another state with children is no simple task. It will require a hearing at a minimum. Depending upon the situation, it may require the appointment of an expert psychologist. It can be a lengthy process and should be started early, well... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.