Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: My husband and I have a covenant marriage. He abandoned me and our three kids in September. I would like to divorce.

There is evidence of adultery. Can an immediate divorce be granted being we have a covenant marriage? What steps can I take right now to ensure my kids and I are ok? He left me with a ton of financial debt and refused often to pay the arrangements we set.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Dec 7, 2019

You can hire a divorce attorney to file immediately.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Estate Planning, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Probate on
Q: What do i do when my sister isnt being upfront with what our mother and father left us to share equally

Shes keeping all iras and life insurances as well as banck accounts to herself we need to see the accounts my father had in the banks and everything else he left to us we need to investigate all things shes done since named in my fathers account

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 6, 2019

If you are a named beneficiary on any of these accounts, you can contact the financial institution yourself and inquire about the status of disbursement of your share. If there were no named death beneficiaries, then you should contact a probate attorney to help you with the probate process. If... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: In Oregon, I paid a deposit on a golf reservation. I have to cancel and was told it is non refundable.

One question - is it truly non refundable. If so, can I get a credit to use at a later date. However, when I asked about that they said they would extend a one time courtesy for me to do that, but if I canceled that date, then I would lose the money.

Can a business take deposit money and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 1, 2019

You raise a valid point. However, the handling of such deposits as a general rule is usually governed by terms of the underlying agreement. You could check with an attorney in Oregon as to any state laws that might serve to protect you, or if the attorney could offer a brief, inexpensive consult to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Employment Discrimination for Kentucky on
Q: What is the statute of limitations for initiating employment arbitration in the State of Kentucky Boone County please?
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Nov 23, 2019

It depends on the issues in question. There is no exclusive right to arbitration in employment unless it is contractual.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: Dispute with a auto Mechanic. Paid $850. Drove home next morning the car would not start

For two weeks he's been coming to tow my car back to the garage. Haven't showed up

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 16, 2019

An attorney who practices in Oregon could best advise on your options here, whether arbitration (as you list), small claims, or other. But your question remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear if you mean the mechanic has been showing up at your place for the past two weeks (which the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Florida on
Q: HOA Presuit Mediation - do the Homeowner have the right the right to know the names of the people involved ?

The Florida Law Firm will not disclose their Client name etc, only hiding behind the HOA,

I do not know if it is the Board of Directors or Property Manager or individual resident.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 14, 2019

A HOA is usually a corporation, which is a legal "person". So the "people involved" is not the same as the individuals who may be directors or individual owners.

If you want to know more, you should tell us more about the issues involved in whatever dispute you have with the HOA.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Ohio on
Q: My roommate moved out and we're both still on the lease. Is she still responsible for her half of the rent?

My roommate has completely moved out, but she says she will still pay her rent. Because she's on the lease. How can I legally get a new roommate?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 28, 2019

Both of you remain fully liable for the entire monthly rent amount. If she stops paying, and you do not pay it in full, landlord can evict you and sue both of you. Check your lease to determine if it allows you to sublease, or work it out with landlord if you find a new roommate.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for South Carolina on
Q: Hi... Should the charging party raise the points of concern during mediation? Or is this the role of the mediator?

I have an employment issue.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 23, 2019

As a general matter in arbitrations and mediations of any type, the party who would raise points of concern is usually the one who would be adversely impacted by the points going unchallenged into the record to be used by the arbitrator or mediator. Both sides are presenting their versions - both... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Consumer Law for California on
Q: Who pays for arbritation filed by myself as a consumer regarding a dispute. I did submit a fee waiver.

Will i be going up against corporate lawyers? I dont have a lawyer. But after several attemps to resolve the issue. I finally resorted to arbritation.

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Oct 16, 2019

Contact the arbitration provider and read their rules.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: Ex won't pay back security deposit refund that I paid.

So when my ex and I moved into an apartment together, I paid the $500 security deposit and we agreed that she wouldn't have to split it because I would get it back when we moved out. So when we move out, the apartment complex sends her the check by accident with both our names on it. She chased it... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Oct 14, 2019

Your mosy likely recourse for success is to file a lawsuit, probably in Small Claims Court, if the amount is $5000 or less.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Kentucky on
Q: can state Farm deny my renters insurance claim if it's the second one I've filed in 5 months? I am having problems with

the neighbors. I have reported them to the police and I did not keep this fact from the insurance. the first claim was a fire, they covered the loss. now it's braking and entering and the siu is hassling me.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 30, 2019

They should not deny your claim if it is a covered event, whether it has been five months or five years since the last claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Education Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: How do I get mediation with my ex-spouse to change the school at which the children attend?

My agreement specifically stipulates that my ex-wife pays for private school tuition if BOTH of us agree to send our children there. My 13yo daughter now wants to attend the public school in the district in which I live. We have a 50/50 custody arrangement.

Penelope A. Boyd
Penelope A. Boyd answered on Sep 30, 2019

This is a custody question. Your custody order will very likely indicate shared legal custody, so both parents must agree, or a court must order, educational decisions.

If you and mother discuss this and cannot reach an agreement, you have the option of going to court and filing a petition...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for South Carolina on
Q: My dad passed away and my uncle took everything! They were in construction and property management. No will was found!

Do I have any options? I lost access to bank account and apartment! This was sudden and unexpected!

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 16, 2019

I'm sorry for your loss. A probate attorney would be in the best position to assess the situation. You could contact one of the attorneys on this site, contact an attorney on your own, or repost with the categories Probate/Estate Planning added. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Elder Law for California on
Q: We have evidence of elder financial abuse, self dealing, and perjury. What can we do?

This person, manipulated her father along with her husband, became POA, Caregiver and Trust executor. Self dealing, controlled all assists, withheld family from seeing their father.

Steve A. Buchwalter
Steve A. Buchwalter answered on Sep 15, 2019

I think you're in California. I would think you'd want to contact the Department of Adult Protective Services. There should be at least one office in each county. Then you should talk to a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for Colorado on
Q: My wife needs to change court orders placed when she got divorced regarding the kids but needs a forensic assessment

We do not know how to get a referral for her forensic assessment and wondered if getting a pro bono lawyer, as we are a low income family, would help solve our issues. I have a ton more information regarding the exact situation if this is the right direction.

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Sep 9, 2019

You should consult with an attorney who will need information about any prior court orders and will need to understand the context of the need for a forensic evaluation. This matter clearly has a history involving some form of safety issue. You could also consult with a therapist who might be able... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Louisiana on
Q: What is a possible sentencing or punishment for a first offense on domestic violence/child endangerment law?

There was a domestic violence act between a man (the offender) and woman in the household, a child was around and got hurt unintentionally.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Sep 8, 2019

Exposure depends on the injuries to the victim.

Q: Awarded full year of back pay from my job over a year & a half ago and still get no answers or explanation.

if there anything I can do to make them honor my Arbitration award for my back pay? They've done others since I've started my process also, but mines for some reason is in limbo.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Aug 23, 2019

An arbitration award does not, by itself, mean you get paid if the employer does not voluntarily pay it. You have to take that award and enter it as a judgment in the Superior Court, and then start efforts to collect that judgment. This takes time and money. It would be wise for you to locate an... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Montana on
Q: I am trying to find a lawyer no one is responding What can I do to get someone on board
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 15, 2019

How are trying to contact one?

Through s posting here?

You need to contact attorneys directly and individually

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: Can I reopen my divorce that ended in 2010 if I can prove fraud?

My divorce was moved to arbitration because my husband was lying and destroying evidence of our business, he did this to hide both the value of the business and his income. After 7 years of arbitration my case was returned to the court. My husband continued to lie about his income which was... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Aug 14, 2019

Given the length of time that has passed, I seriously doubt it. You would probably have to pay an experienced matrimonial attorney, just to research the case law, to see if there is any possibility.

Q: Our Georgia attorney lost our probate caveat due to his inability to do what we asked! Then dropped my wife from

The contract which was contingent on winning and if it went to appeal he would be there for her?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 12, 2019

Is there a question in here somewhere?

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.