Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Social Security for Utah on
Q: Is it against the law for a bank to ask for the last 4 of someone's social security number to verify them?

I work at an online bank based out of Utah. We offer equipment loans for things like semi trucks and trailers. We do not have a physical branch for customers to visit, so everything is done over the phone. Part of our normal verification procedure is to ask for a loan customer's name, address... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 11, 2020

If you work for a legitimate online bank located anywhere in the United States, the chances are very good that your online bank has competent legal counsel to answer this very simple question. If your bank does not have competent legal counsel they are walking a tightrope that crosses a very deep... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Utah on
Q: In Utah does Social security benefit payments made for your children count toward the child support that you owe?
Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Dec 16, 2019

You will want to look at Utah Code section 78B-12-203. Subsection 9(a) provides that "Social security benefits received by a child due to the earnings of a parent shall be credited as child support to the parent upon whose earning record it is based." If you meet those requirements the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Utah on
Q: My fiance died while I was five months pregnant. Need to have him added to birth certificate and to have a court order.

I have DNA already. I am in slc utah

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Feb 27, 2017

You need to file a parentage action in the appropriate court to establish your deceased fiancé as the father so that he can be added to the birth certificate. There may be a jurisdictional issue depending on where your child was conceived, where the biological father died, etc. A lawyer can help... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Utah on
Q: I live in Lindon, Utah. I get SSDI and have filed for Divorce. The wife has ask for 50% of my SSDI. How to prosed now ?

I now live at Assisted Living Care, Osmond Assisted Living, Lindon. Some of the things state no SSDI is my money. Others say half

is the law clear on this point? I feel that I need an Atty. Court costs are taken care and some documents have been filed. Can you help me.

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Jun 19, 2015

Seek for advice from an experienced social security attorney or locate answers from the Social Security Administration. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.