Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Robert B. Pollack
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New York on
Q: I divorced years ago, 13 years ago, and have been paying child support monthly since then.

This payment is based on the divorce decree. The child is now 18. The child has never been to the united states because of the mother's choosing. I provided opportunities for the child to study here in the USA after high school, but the mother decided that wouldnt work. I assume its so she can... Read more »

Robert B. Pollack
Robert B. Pollack answered on Apr 1, 2019

Your child is 18; have you asked your child where he or she would rather attend college, meaning, Jamaica or in the US? Looking back on the history you describe concerning her adversely impacting your relationship with your child, there could have been opportunities to reduce or eliminate child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: My sister is disabled due to MS...her husband is divorcing her after 30 plus years , calling it a Medicaid divorce. Her

Only income is her disability payment. She has no extra income for a lawyer. Her husband has a large amount of debt and their home is in both names. Probono possible?

Robert B. Pollack
Robert B. Pollack answered on Mar 15, 2019

What is sometimes referred to as a "Medicaid divorce" from experience, this may involve certain less than ethical maneuvers that your sister may need to be concerned about and I will not advise or comment about. Your sister needs help and advice for sure. The need for an attorney is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: Can a paralegal write a stipulation of settlement for a divorce filing without a lawyer involved?

A friend says he can prepare all the divorce paperwork for me and my wife, and write up a stipulation of settlement also. I thought a lawyer would have to be involved somehow, but my friend says he can do it all by himself. He's a paralegal. It that legal?

Robert B. Pollack
Robert B. Pollack answered on Mar 13, 2019

The role and permitted duties of paralegals differ throughout the USA. In some states, paralegals are licensed and can perform certain functions that an attorney would otherwise have to do. Paralegals cannot practice law; only attorneys can do that. However, there is no legal requirement in NY... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.