Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Mary Katherine Brown
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: In N.Y., can a parent deny visitation between the grandparent ane the minor children of the parent?
Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown answered on Jun 25, 2012

Yes, unless there is a court order specifically stating they cannot.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: How do i sign over my parental right of my child to his mother.
Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown answered on Mar 30, 2012

As you may know by now, you cannot simply "sign over" a child to another person. In New York, a parent may voluntarily terminated their rights in certain situations where an "involuntary" termination is possible, but a voluntary one is just easier. Otherwise, if there is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: I am 25, my girlfriend is 17. I have my own apartment. Is she able to run away, TO me legally? Will she be forced home?

What are our options to remove her LEGALLY from an abusive home (abusive physically/ mentally/ verbally/ emotionally (verifiable)), and get her LEGALLY placed permanently in my own home which is clean, bills paid, etc..?

She will be 18 in april. She is in danger at her current legal... Read more »

Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown answered on Sep 13, 2011

It is hard to answer your question because in New York, the age of consent is 17, but the age of majority is 21, and an otherwise competent 18 year old is considered legally responsible. She can become "emancipated" prior to age 18, which means she is no longer in the custody and control... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: The judge in my divorce insists on a letter to give me access to my funds that I can hire a lawyer.
Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown answered on Sep 2, 2011

Usually you have to do what the judge requires you to do. What type of letter does the judge want you to have and when are you supposed to submit it? Mary Katherine Brown 718-878-6886

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for New York on
Q: Can a person who had brain metatisis and on pain medication, be declared to have lack of testamentary capacity?
Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown answered on Sep 1, 2011

It is possible. The issue is whether they are competent to make decisions. Some people with a brain metastasis are, and some aren't. Same for pain medication. If there is a question, a doctor will have to make a determination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.