Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Paul Baker
2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Estate Planning and Probate for Massachusetts on
Q: I will be receiving a settlement for a suit I filed for wrongful death of my father. It was product liability. I am the

Only heir, my dad died 6 yrs ago with a will naming me sole beneficiary. They have already run complete lien checks to be sure nothing is owed to anyone. I’m going to be receiving a settlement check but they want to put check to the estate of. I called bank and they are telling me I would have to... View More

Paul Baker
Paul Baker
answered on Mar 22, 2023

Show your lawyer the will, in which you are named sole beneficiary. Then emphasize that the money is going to end up with you anyway, and that going thru the estate process (filing with the Probate court, advertising your appt. as executor, etc) will be a worthless (and needlessly expensive)... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.