Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Jeff Alter
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Colorado on
Q: Is income figured out as potential income or actual. My husband makes $65/ hour but is only willing to work 20 hrs/wk

He is able to work more. I am making more only because i work 8-5 m-f, 40+ hours per week. He is a nurse practitioner and I am a nurse so his earning potential is greater. I am working full time because he won't. So in a divorce how does this pan out?

Jeff Alter
Jeff Alter answered on Sep 20, 2017

Most courts in Colorado will impute full time assuming that the spouse is capable of working those hours and that those hours are available within reason in the spouse's industry. In your case, without knowing more, it sounds like the court would impute full-time on your spouse based on his... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Colorado on
Q: How do I obtain the case number for the termination of parental rights?
Jeff Alter
Jeff Alter answered on Sep 4, 2017

The easiest way is to call up the clerk and ask for the case number. You should have the names of the parties ready.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado on
Q: Can my ex force me to send our 5 year old to kindergarten?

I have full custody, he only has visitation. We are supposed to share decision making on school. Colorado law does not require they begin until they are 6 and he is not 6 until next summer

Jeff Alter
Jeff Alter answered on Jul 16, 2017

The reality is that if you both have equal education decision-making with no tie-breaking provision, then he cannot force you to send the child to kindergarten. He would need to first file a motion with the court and then get an order for kindergarten attendance before you would be required to send... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Colorado on
Q: If we are legal residents of CO and I, the wife, move to Ga, will that take alimony off the table?

I have spoken to a lawyer about the basics and I am entitled to alimony. We just haven't filed anything yet.

Jeff Alter
Jeff Alter answered on Jul 2, 2017

No. Moving generally has nothing to do with alimony (called spousal support or spousal maintenance in Colorado) unless it changes the economic circumstances of the person who moved - even then, some courts don't take it in to consideration.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.