Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Steven M. Vartabedian Justice (Ret.)
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: 1) If two parties have retained attorneys is it too late to go to arbitration? How does one go about initiating arbitrat

Tion. Does it involve dismissing current counselors and hiring a different person to arbitrate the case?

Steven M. Vartabedian Justice (Ret.)
Steven M. Vartabedian Justice (Ret.) answered on Mar 3, 2011

No it is not too late to arbitrate if you have retained counsel and there is no need to change counsel. In arbitration, the parties and their attorneys pick a third party neutral to decide the dispute. This is usually done for several reasons, including to save the time and costs it might take to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for California on
Q: Can injured P recover from D the full amount of a medical expense where insured negotiates for less than usual charges?
Steven M. Vartabedian Justice (Ret.)
Steven M. Vartabedian Justice (Ret.) answered on Mar 3, 2011

This very question is currently being reviewed by the California Supreme Court. A majority of other states view this "negotiated rate differential" as awardable to the P as collateral-source damages. The rationale is that a P's payment of insurance premiums for medical coverage... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.