Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Tara L. Goodwin

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois on

Q: If someone got a check from a class action lawsuit, but accidently threw it away, can he request another one?

Tara L. Goodwin answered on Apr 15, 2013

Most of the time you should be able to get a new check, if you make the request promptly, and the check you were issued has not been cashed. They may require you to pay the stop payment fee on the earlier check. Make your request quickly, because in many class actions, unclaimed money goes to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois on

Q: Sears was suppose to refund me some money over a month ago and I still have not received it. What can I do?

Tara L. Goodwin answered on Aug 9, 2012

You can start by writing a letter demanding your refund. If that doesn't work a complaint to the Better Business Bureau or the Illinois Attorney General's consumer division might get their attention. Depending on how much money is involved, you could also contact an attorney who specialiazes in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois on

Q: I sent a check to a entertainment promotor for a concert (Katy Perry)concert that did not happen. What can I do?

Tara L. Goodwin answered on Nov 29, 2011

You may be able to sue for breach of contract, or possibly violation of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act (depending on the specific facts). You can file suit yourself in small claims court. You might also be able to get results by complaining to the consumer division of the Illinois Attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois on

Q: Judgements and Levy

I have a judgement against me via credit card. suit.

I cannot pay and on unemployment, they are threatening levy.

I am aware of the 4,000 exempt for property.. However, My car is worth 9,050.00 and owe only 4,000. With this said, I will apply 2,400 for autos exemption thus still... Read more »

Tara L. Goodwin answered on Nov 21, 2011

I've never heard of a creditor in a credit card case trying to take any personal property to satisfy the debt. They are mostly interested in money -- whatever they can find in bank accounts or by garnishing the wages of somebody with a job. They might put a lien against real estate you own, but... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois on

Q: Midland funding is taking us to court

I know that they are not the original debt holder but my wife paid them 100 and then stop I told midland funding to prove thats her debt what are there chances of proving thats her debt and does that payment confirm her debt

Tara L. Goodwin answered on Nov 21, 2011

The fact that she made a payment on the debt will definitely be used against her. The other problem the payment likely caused, was that it may have restarted the statute of limitations. In our experience, debt buyers, such as Midland Funding, often do not have the documents or witnesses they need... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.