Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Laurie Schmitt
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan on
Q: How difficult is it to petition the court to move out of state with my 16 year old?

Child has the opportunity for a full college tuition scholarship if she is a full time resident for 12 months. Dad is barely involved since the divorce 2 yrs ago and only sees her maybe once a month. I expect a fight on my hands.

Laurie Schmitt
Laurie Schmitt
answered on Apr 30, 2019


Are you contemplating moving out of town or out of state with your child? Will this move be more than 100 miles from the child's current legal residence? Has the court awarded you joint legal custody or sole legal custody?

Before you...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: if I have 50% legal custody is the other party allowed to refuse parenting time
Laurie Schmitt
Laurie Schmitt
answered on Mar 19, 2019

If you have a court order that specifically defines your parenting time, the other party would be in violation of that court order if they refuse parenting time.

Legal custody does not have anything to do with parenting time. Legal custody defines who can make major decisions for the...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.