Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Daniel Palmer
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas on
Q: Is a certified adult name change order sufficient to attach to an existing Power of Attorney in Texas?

I got married and legally changed my entire name. I am the agent on my parents Statutory Durable and Medical POA', and I am listed as a beneficiary in their wills as well. My financial institution is allowing me to attach a copy of the certified order of my name change to their POA's for... View More

Daniel Palmer
Daniel Palmer
answered on Jan 10, 2022

Statutory Durable Powers of Attorney are tricky in that different financial institutions have different requirements. While the certified order may suffice for purposes of one financial institution, it may very well not for another. The safest bet would be to create new powers of attorney which can... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.