Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Devin W. Quackenbush
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Which of the following am I entitled to if I file for divorce?

My husband has been unfaithful during our 5 and a half year marriage, we have one child and I am currently pregnant with number 2. His car is paid off, our 2nd car is a lease under both of our names. He has a house where he is a "co-applicant" but he is on the loan and the title of the... View More

Devin W. Quackenbush
Devin W. Quackenbush
answered on Jul 10, 2017

You should have a good strategy for your divorce case. Finding the right lawyer for that can be daunting. Most lawyers will allow you to have a free consultation to determine whether they would be a good fit for your case. Feel free to reach out to a lawyer's office to see if they offer a free... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: Who is the petitioner and which case does the courts look at?

Person files for divorce and serves them, spouse after has a lawyer serves him divorce papers under a different case that show filing after. Both cases show different petitioners. Who is the petitioner and who is the defendant as well as which case will the court or judge look at?

Devin W. Quackenbush
Devin W. Quackenbush
answered on May 3, 2017

In this situation, the two cases should be consolidated with the court and the party to file first should be the petitioner. A motion to consolidate the cases should be filed in both cases. If you feel like you require additional help with this, you should contact an attorney to help you.

3 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for Utah on
Q: My mother is in jail, shes willing to sign over her parental rights to me for my 16 year old sister how do I get custody

Little sister lives in north Carolina with her real dad it is a bad situation from what shes told me. He does not have custody of her my mom does. so how do I fight him and win.

Devin W. Quackenbush
Devin W. Quackenbush
answered on Jan 31, 2017

There are some details that are necessary to answer your question that are missing from your question. However, your mother who has the court order granting her custody would have to pursue an action to have the child returned to Utah. I would recommend speaking to an attorney about all of the... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.