Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Victoria Morales
3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Florida on
Q: Hi If we purchased furniture and appliances on credit about 10 months ago, could it be repossessed in a chapter 7 ?

Also I have a car that is paid off and pretty new.

Since I don’t have a loan on it anymore can they take that as well? The car is under my name and my moms?

Victoria Morales
Victoria Morales answered on Aug 4, 2020

You are entitled to a number of assets that are exempt from being taken by creditors. Specifically, Florida exemptions include $1000 in personal property, $1000 in a vehicle, and 100% of your homestead if purchased more than 4 years prior to the bankruptcy, and if purchased less than 4 years, then... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Florida on
Q: In want to file for bankruptcy because I had a court citation for debt collector, but I own a car that if value of 9900

The car if paid. Can I lose the car. What are my options. My total debt is 50000

Victoria Morales
Victoria Morales answered on Jul 22, 2020

In Florida you have the ability to exempt certain assets from being liquidated (sold) for the benefit of your creditors in a bankruptcy. You may exempt $1,000 of value in a vehicle, $1,000 in personal property, 100% of your homestead if you have owned it for about 4 years or more, and if you do... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.