Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jane A Bassett
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My daughter was born in Florida and we reside in Michigan. Her father lives in Fla. Where would court be held?

He is not on the birth certificate and has never paid support. She doesn't even know him. Now he demands I give her to him or he will go to court. What are my options? Can she be legally adopted by the male figure in her life?

Jane A Bassett
Jane A Bassett
answered on Feb 23, 2017

If your child lives in Michigan with you, then in general Michigan would have jurisdiction to hear a step-parent adoption. The more complex question is whether or not her biological father has rights allow him to prohibit the step-parent adoption. If a court has found him to be the father through... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.